Bovingdon Dance Academy's Health & Safety Policy
The teachers of Bovingdon Dance Academy will actively maintain and promote good health and safety procedures. We believe the health & safety of our children, teachers and volunteers is of paramount importance. We will make all pupils, parents and teachers aware of any health and safety issues & we will work to minimize any hazards or risks to ensure the pupils can practise dance in a safe environment.
- Our teachers will undertake a risk assessment at the start of every session. Any hazards or risks identified will be documented & appropriate action will be taken to minimize or control the risks.
- Floor: is it clean? is it too slippery? Have any obstacles been removed?
- Windows: is there sufficient ventilation? Do the blinds need to be pulled down?
- Plug sockets: Are they safe? Is there any wiring showing?
- Doors and Exits: Secure? Safe? Locked?
- Lighting: Are they working?
- Toilets: Are they clean? Are they in working order?
- The set-up of equipment must be safe and correct.
- Wires from speakers must be out of the way.
- When not in use, ballet barres to be kept at front of studio out of reach of pupils.
- Pupils to be taught to use ballet barres correctly and safely.
- Equipment to be stored correctly and safely at the end of sessions.
- Pupils are not to use the ballet barres without supervision.
- Any damaged equipment is to be noted in the equipment log and fixed as soon as possible.
- Correct dance wear – shoes or bare feet, but not socks or tights without shoes.
- Long hair to be tied back.
- Encouraged to bring water to class to stay hydrated.
- All pupils must complete a registration form on starting at the Academy and this will detail emergency contact numbers and medical
- In case of a Fire emergency all teachers have a clear understanding of responsibilities. They understand the procedures set by the hired dance studio and will follow them accordingly.
- Our teachers will undertake First Aid training and regularly update their knowledge and understanding.
- Our teachers will keep a First Aid Box at each hired premises & will not perform First Aid without the consent of the pupil’s parent.
- In the case of an incident, a report must be documented in the Accident Book.
This policy will be regularly reviewed and updated.
Last updated: 23rd March 2021.